participants-research - RE: IdP discovery - list 'em all?

Subject: InC Research Participants

RE: IdP discovery - list 'em all?

  • From: "Wessel, Keith" <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: RE: IdP discovery - list 'em all?
  • Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2016 17:05:42 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Ironport-phdr: 9a23:MP3D4xHMUsxMEhqoB7SFB51GYnF86YWxBRYc798ds5kLTJ75psSwAkXT6L1XgUPTWs2DsrQf1LqQ7vurADFIyK3CmU5BWaQEbwUCh8QSkl5oK+++Imq/EsTXaTcnFt9JTl5v8iLzG0FUHMHjew+a+SXqvnZBUin4YEBtL/7pG4XTl82xy/v34ZDIbgxSjzqVYLV5KxCzqgOXsdMZy8M2Mq8r1hrCo2NBffhNgHllPl+ahR38zsa295lm9iNW/fU7+JgTf7/9evFycrFDFzkidygW6cz3tVOLGQiQ62AHX2E+kx5MAg7C7Qq8U5vs5Hip/tFh0TWXaJWlBYs/Xi6vuv9m

I would first argue, if they don't have a business case for CILogon, why they
care that their IDP is listed.

If the reason is that researchers who think they have a business case are
coming to CILogon, they perhaps they do have a business case and don't know
it.

And if they really don't, it seems like this should be handled in federated
error handling. If you (and other SP operators) are going to spend all yoru
time manualy blacklisting IdPs who "don't have a business case," well...
you're going to spend all your time doing that.

Considering the number of SPs who are using centralized federation-wide
discovery pages where blacklisting isn't an option unless the IdP wants to be
removed from every interaction, this just doesn't make sense to me.

Keith