interfed - Re: [inc-interfed] Kicking off Phase 2 of Interfed

Subject: Interfederation

Re: [inc-interfed] Kicking off Phase 2 of Interfed

  • From: Scott Koranda <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [inc-interfed] Kicking off Phase 2 of Interfed
  • Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2013 11:39:54 -0500

Hi,

> On 9/25/13 12:04 PM, "Scott Koranda"
> <>
> wrote:
> >
> >Yes, but because of the more nimble and flexible working
> >relationship we were able to make progress at a faster rate then I expect
> >to be able to make with eduGAIN en masse.
>
> I'm on the outside of this, but am struggling to understand why the source
> of metadata relates to how effectively attribute release might be
> accomplished.

It does not. I understand that.

The point I attempted to make regarding needing a persistent
identifier is that a bilateral agreement for interfederation
between InCommon and the UK helps further a working
relationship that I hope ultimately results in more
interoperability than I expect to get from eduGAIN initially.

> In other words, I find myself agreeing with Tom that if (and it's a big
> if) we were able to get the edugain entities exposed in our metadata here
> faster than we could do so with the Ukf directly,

I agree there is uncertainty and I want to hedge by pursuing
both paths.

> why wouldn't that be the
> logical way to go?

I want to see both paths pursued in case one stalls.

> I guess I need help understanding the specific "progress" that needs to be
> made. My assumption is that metadata exposure is a necessary but
> insufficient step,

Agreed.

> and so in service of that, the best course is to get
> that exposure in the most expedient way we can.

I argue that the best course is to pursue both paths in order to
maximize the likelihood that N months from now more
international IdPs interfederate with LIGO SPs.

> Is that a fair statement?

Fair but I think incomplete because it assumes that once a
decision is made to pursue eduGAIN success within N months is
a forgone conclusion where N is "small".

> Then at least the discussion comes down to which way is most expedient.

... and what the probability is for success within N months.

If I only cared about getting the LIGO SP metadata into
eduGAIN I would have joined the Canadian Access Federation
(CAF) and had them inject the LIGO SP metadata into eduGAIN
almost a year ago when it was offered to LIGO.

That would have worked, but it would not have helped me build
the working relationships that help us get to end-to-end
interoperability, nor would it have served as a vehicle for
exploring international interfederation via InCommon.

I am asking for InCommon to affirm that working relationship
and continue to leverage, in particular, Ian by pursuing a
formal bilateral interfederation agreement with the UK, until
such time that InCommon participates in eduGAIN completely.

Thanks,

Scott K