interfed - Re: [inc-interfed] Kicking off Phase 2 of Interfed

Subject: Interfederation

Re: [inc-interfed] Kicking off Phase 2 of Interfed

  • From: Tom Scavo <>
  • To: Interfederation TAC Subgroup <>
  • Subject: Re: [inc-interfed] Kicking off Phase 2 of Interfed
  • Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2013 08:36:53 -0400

On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 1:28 AM, Warren Anderson

> On Sep 24, 2013, at 18:35 , Tom Scavo
> <>
> wrote:
>>
>> The comments made on July 31 still stand:
>>
>> https://lists.incommon.org/sympa/arc/tac/2013-07/msg00068.html
>
> Can you circulate that email for those of us who are not authorized to read
> the TAC list archives?

Oops. Let me start from scratch.

* In item 1a, it is not clear to me that we actually need agreements
with *both* eduGAIN *and* the UK federation. As I understand it, the
UKf is currently working on importing to (and exporting from) eduGAIN
metadata. If so, why do we need a separate agreement with UKf? Isn't
that what eduGAIN is for?

* Regarding item 1b, the first two sub-bullets suggest there's some
interactive process that will lead to the required documentation. If
so, then I don't understand what's being suggested since Ops is the
sole proprietor of the "trust practices and policies for entity
registration and publishing" (whatever that turns out to be).

What is the scope of work in item 1b? Who is the intended audience? In
any case, I'm not sure TAC or Steering need to approve any changes
that might come out of this process since neither TAC nor Steering are
currently involved in the "trust practices and policies for entity
registration and publishing." Steering, in particular, should not be
required to "approve any significant policy/practice changes" since
these are surely highly technical documents that would be out of scope
for the Steering Committee (unless I'm misunderstanding the intended
audience, which is why I asked).

* Item 1c should simply be deleted since REFEDs is in the final stages
of developing a CoC entity category:

https://refeds.terena.org/index.php/Entity_Category_CoC

The deadline for comments on this proposed entity category is Oct 2
(just like the REFEDs R&S Category).

* Item 1d is not anything this WG can do. Only Ops can prioritize such work.

Hope this helps,