md-distro - Re: [md-distro] thoughts regarding an Ops work plan

Subject: Metadata Distribution Subcommittee of TAC

Re: [md-distro] thoughts regarding an Ops work plan

  • From: Ian Young <>
  • To:
  • Cc: "" <>, "Cantor, Scott" <>, Tom Scavo <>
  • Subject: Re: [md-distro] thoughts regarding an Ops work plan
  • Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2013 15:39:44 +0100

On 4 Oct 2013, at 15:32, Steve Thorpe

> Perhaps it would be worth surveying the InC membership to get a better feel
> for how many others might be in the same boat?

The other thing it's probably worth doing, both in the OSU and MCNC cases but
also in any survey, is asking people not only whether they have such a policy
in place but whether there would be any *consequences* to allowing that
policy to apply to an arbitrary SP which didn't happen to belong to an
InCommon member. In other words, to what extent membership of InCommon
actually makes a difference to the attributes you're prepared to release.

The more privacy-sensitive IdPs over here don't tend to release much to all
comers at all, but I'm interested to know whether that's behaviour spurred by
the EU regulatory environment or something more general.

-- Ian