md-distro - Re: [md-distro] thoughts regarding an Ops work plan

Subject: Metadata Distribution Subcommittee of TAC

Re: [md-distro] thoughts regarding an Ops work plan

  • From: Steve Thorpe <>
  • To: Tom Scavo <>,
  • Subject: Re: [md-distro] thoughts regarding an Ops work plan
  • Date: Thu, 03 Oct 2013 16:52:31 -0400

On 10/3/13 4:19 PM, Tom Scavo wrote:
On Thu, Oct 3, 2013 at 3:52 PM, Cantor, Scott
On 10/3/13 3:47 PM, "Steve Thorpe"

Although presumably the rules to be in EduGain are different from the
rules to be in InCommon. Accordingly, in my view it would be really
nice if it remains easy-as-pie to recognize your fellow InCommon
entities, and those entities only.

Defining entity attributes or RPI extensions is the appropriate way to do
that. The aggregate was never intended for that purpose.

Right, so the onus is on us to show people how to configure their
software to recognize the MDRPI extension. Since the current crop of
software doesn't do that out-of-the-box, we have to improvise. I can
think of a couple of workarounds. The IdP extension that the UKf is
developing is only part of the story.

If the out-of-the-box Shib software doesn't support the appropriate way now, then I think it would be best to make sure the latest software release DOES support it -- *prior* to changing expanding the InC metadata's contents to include an aggregate with non-InC members. Because otherwise it could cause significant overhead (and angst) for a lot of InC members. Ideally any required changes would simply be in the software's config files, not in having to add extensions.

Thanks,

Steve

--
Steve Thorpe
Systems Programmer/Analyst, MCNC

Office: 919-248-1161
Mobile: 919-724-9654
Skype/AIM: thorpe682

Connecting North Carolina's Future Today