md-distro - Re: [md-distro] thoughts regarding an Ops work plan

Subject: Metadata Distribution Subcommittee of TAC

Re: [md-distro] thoughts regarding an Ops work plan

  • From: "Cantor, Scott" <>
  • To: "" <>, Tom Scavo <>, "" <>
  • Subject: Re: [md-distro] thoughts regarding an Ops work plan
  • Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2013 14:04:17 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

On 10/3/13 4:52 PM, "Steve Thorpe"

>If the out-of-the-box Shib software doesn't support the appropriate way
>now, then I think it would be best to make sure the latest software
>release DOES support it -- *prior* to changing expanding the InC
>metadata's contents to include an aggregate with non-InC members.

It will be a long time for most sites before that's true, because it would
require upgrading to 3.0 (and that isn't even 100% certain, to be honest,
we did not have RPI specified as a use case).

>Because otherwise it could cause significant overhead (and angst) for a
>lot of InC members.

I know of very few sites using such a policy (and I happen to be one), so
I don't think that's necessarily the case. It might be, but I don't assume
so.

> Ideally any required changes would simply be in the
>software's config files, not in having to add extensions.

I think this kind of use case is very appropriate for extensions. It is
not a mainstream requirement.

-- Scott