md-distro - Re: [md-distro] thoughts regarding an Ops work plan

Subject: Metadata Distribution Subcommittee of TAC

Re: [md-distro] thoughts regarding an Ops work plan

  • From: John Krienke <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: Re: [md-distro] thoughts regarding an Ops work plan
  • Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2013 11:40:12 -0400

Yep, let's discuss today in a few minutes.

Working Group Wiki Page:
https://spaces.internet2.edu/x/zRBOAg

CALL DETAILS
----------------
PHONE
(734) 615-7474 (please use if you do not pay for long distance)
(866) 411-0013 (toll-free in US and Canada)
Access Code: 0169395#

john.

On 10/3/13 11:29 AM, Tom Scavo wrote:
Last Friday Ops discussed possible paths forward with respect to
metadata distribution and interfederation (which are tightly
intertwined). A number of possible work items have been identified:

1. Distribute a new signing certificate (same key, new certificate wrapper)
2. Sign InCommon metadata with a SHA2-based XML signature
3. Include eduGAIN metadata in the InCommon metadata aggregate
4. Expose per-entity metadata via a standard md-query protocol

These new features and functionality provide us an opportunity to
migrate participants to a new metadata server (md.incommon.org). If we
did that, we would of course put an EOL on the old server
(wayf.incommonfederation.org), which would eventually be taken
offline.

We invite comment on the above strategy. We also have burning
questions regarding the distribution of per-entity metadata:

- What is the validity period (i.e., validUntil)?
- Is cacheDuration needed, and if so, what is its value?
- How often would we generate per-entity metadata?

The answers to these questions probably depend on whether we use an
HSM, in which case we might be able to automate the production of
metadata.

I'm probably missing something, so it would be good if we could
discuss some of these questions and issues on today's md-distro call.