per-entity - Re: [Per-Entity] remaining BIG questions

Subject: Per-Entity Metadata Working Group

Re: [Per-Entity] remaining BIG questions

  • From: "Cantor, Scott" <>
  • To: Nick Roy <>, "" <>
  • Subject: Re: [Per-Entity] remaining BIG questions
  • Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2016 19:43:06 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Ironport-phdr: 9a23:K81WSBTohSr44yciwU1ZAqHvNNpsv+yvbD5Q0YIujvd0So/mwa64YBGN2/xhgRfzUJnB7Loc0qyN7PCmBDdLuMvJmUtBWaIPfidNsd8RkQ0kDZzNImzAB9muURYHGt9fXkRu5XCxPBsdMs//Y1rPvi/6tmZKSV3XfDB4LeXtG4PUk9//l6Xro8WSME10g2+bYLhxZC+xvE2FsNMRkKNjLLo80B3EviEOduhLkycgb0qehVPx4Nux4I9L8iJbvPck8MgGVr/1NexsVbFCSTkgL2Ep9eXqsxLESA6I4D0bSGpAwTRSBA2QpjrzWIv2qG+yjeF6xDXQdZn9RLYoXi7ktY9sUwKuhSsaYW1quFrLg9B92foI6CmqoAZylsuNONmY

On 9/14/16, 3:16 PM,
"
on behalf of Nick Roy"
<
on behalf of

wrote:

> That is exactly why having at least one CDN, and preferably more than
> one, is relevant to a failover strategy. Geographic and logical
> redundancy. Publishing to more than one CDN than one means you can
> configure clients to fail over between more than one service. Keeping
> the naming separate and putting the failover between CDNs in the client
> lets clients specify parameters they are comfortable with for things
> like latency.

But server-side lets you mitigate the cost of timeouts so that every client
doesn't have to wait an unpredictable amount of time before realizing
something isn't working.

You really can't realistically have much more than maybe 2 sources before the
timeouts start to get too long in sequence. Or you have to set really, really
low timeouts and hope things keep up.

Using parallel retrieval to mitigate the overlap is, IMHO, a bit too much to
expect.

-- Scott