per-entity - Re: [Per-Entity] remaining BIG questions

Subject: Per-Entity Metadata Working Group

Re: [Per-Entity] remaining BIG questions

  • From: Patrick Radtke <>
  • To: Nick Roy <>
  • Cc: Per-Entity Metadata Working Group <>
  • Subject: Re: [Per-Entity] remaining BIG questions
  • Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2016 13:40:22 -0700
  • Ironport-phdr: 9a23:80KDdRbwscEexK4eecQeedz/LSx+4OfEezUN459isYplN5qZpcy7bnLW6fgltlLVR4KTs6sC0LWG9f27EjVdqb+681k8M7V0HycfjssXmwFySOWkMmbcaMDQUiohAc5ZX0Vk9XzoeWJcGcL5ekGA6ibqtW1aMlzFOAF0PuX4HJLJx4Tyjrjqus6bXwIdoju2YvtIKwT++QPLsdg+gI1+J7w3xweT5HZEZrIF63lvIAerlgrm58yztKRq/zhTtrp178dcS6TxfIwzTKZCES8nP20z+Mz3pF/ISg7ZtShUaXkfjhcdW1uN1xr9RJqk93Ki7uc=

On Wed, Sep 14, 2016 at 12:16 PM, Nick Roy
> That is exactly why having at least one CDN, and preferably more than one,
> is relevant to a failover strategy. Geographic and logical redundancy.
> Publishing to more than one CDN than one means you can configure clients to
> fail over between more than one service. Keeping the naming separate and
> putting the failover between CDNs in the client lets clients specify
> parameters they are comfortable with for things like latency.

I was curious about the tradeoff between having clients configure CDN
failover vs using round robin DNS that returned CNAMEs to each CDN.
For the latter, in the event of a single CDN outage, a less
intelligent client would at least hit a good CDN half the time and
cache the result - but this assumes a unintelligent client will cycle
through the DNS records returned. According to this
http://stackoverflow.com/a/7204522/54396 Java does not do so by
default. I'm not that familiar with .Net, but it seems to default to
'No' as well:
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.net.servicepointmanager.enablednsroundrobin(v=vs.110).aspx

Anyhow, my conclusion from reading is that most clients will likely
just hit the first IP in the DNS cache and not cycle through the
others.

-Patrick