per-entity - Re: [Per-Entity] remaining BIG questions

Subject: Per-Entity Metadata Working Group

Re: [Per-Entity] remaining BIG questions

  • From: "Cantor, Scott" <>
  • To: Tom Scavo <>, Per-Entity Metadata Working Group <>
  • Subject: Re: [Per-Entity] remaining BIG questions
  • Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2016 17:45:19 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Ironport-phdr: 9a23:xQJI2xRlPU1dIsG+oDjsFn1Cu9psv+yvbD5Q0YIujvd0So/mwa64YRON2/xhgRfzUJnB7Loc0qyN7PCmBDdLuMvJmUtBWaIPfidNsd8RkQ0kDZzNImzAB9muURYHGt9fXkRu5XCxPBsdMs//Y1rPvi/6tmZKSV3XfDB4LeXtG4PUk9//l6Xro8WSME10g2+BZrY6Fx6/swKZ4tUMmoBrNKEZyx3Vr2FOdvgMg25kOATX1y7x/IKd+oJi7zUYnv89/sJJTayyQKMiTr1eA3wJKWco/IW/rRTZCAaJ+noAQ00XlBFPBg3C6lf9RJin4QXgse8okgKTO9HxV/R8Yj+l87shAEvjgSEbMCR/qknQkdE2ga5G9kHy7ydjypLZNdnGfMF1ebnQKJZDHTJM

On 9/14/16, 12:20 PM,
"
on behalf of Tom Scavo"
<
on behalf of

wrote:

> I still have a number of unanswered questions regarding the
> distribution of per-entity metadata:
>
> 1) Do we need preview-main-fallback servers or is a single production
> server adequate?

Notwithstanding Nick's comment, certainly this could be accomodated in many
ways, but I tend to believe it's useful to have this ability, at least
preview + main anyway. Preview could perhaps only be available from a single
source, perhaps, vs. fully redundant.

> 2) Does the server need to support HTTP Conditional GET?

Not essential but a nice to have. It's less to do with network and more with
the fact that the software can avoid a needless re-parse and re-verify.

> 3) What is the range of permissible validUntil dates on each entity
> descriptor? (we discussed this briefly on today's call)

I definitely would like to see at most a week and preferably less over time.
The aggregate, if it's still made available for other purposes, could have a
longer window.

> 4) Is there a cacheDuration on each entity descriptor, and if so, what is
> its value?

Definitely needs to be set based on some kind of calculation to achieve the
frequency of updates we want.

> 5) What is our failover strategy?

Can you explain what you mean specifically?

-- Scott