interfed - Re: [inc-interfed] June 4 agenda / May 28 notes

Subject: Interfederation

Re: [inc-interfed] June 4 agenda / May 28 notes

  • From: Tom Scavo <>
  • To: Interfederation TAC Subgroup <>
  • Subject: Re: [inc-interfed] June 4 agenda / May 28 notes
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2013 11:52:38 -0400

On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 11:22 AM, Steven Carmody
> On 6/8/13 12:31 PM, Tom Scavo wrote:
>>
>> Put another way, I would much prefer that eduGAIN pulled our metadata
>> into their aggregate than the other way 'round. That should be our
>> short-term goal.
>
> IMHO that's the real value of edugain. The LIGO SPs would appear in the
> edugain aggregate, and (hopefully) IDPs around the world would now be using
> metadata that included the LIGO SPs. And, of course, the inverse is also
> true -- the Brown IDP would now be trusted by SPs operated by VOs based in
> the EU.

This begs the question what InCommon IdPs and SPs would be included in
an aggregate targeted for eduGAIN. I suppose the R&S IdPs and SPs
would be a good start.

> I seem to remember that John's been asking "where's the value?". IMHO the
> previous paragraph describes it .....

I think John's question goes beyond the mechanics of metadata
production and consumption, but okay, I hear what you're saying.