interfed - Re: [inc-interfed] June 4 agenda / May 28 notes

Subject: Interfederation

Re: [inc-interfed] June 4 agenda / May 28 notes

  • From: Scott Koranda <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [inc-interfed] June 4 agenda / May 28 notes
  • Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2013 10:25:47 -0500

Hello,

On Fri, Jun 7, 2013 at 10:02 AM, Steven Carmody
> On 5/29/13 3:22 PM, Tom Scavo wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 2:13 PM, Cantor,
>> Scott<>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> On 5/29/13 2:09 PM, "Scott
>>> Koranda"<>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> LIGO wants to interfederate, and is saying that the lack of a formalized
>>> trust framework for the quality of the metadata isn't a barrier.
>>>
>>> InCommon could do that without edugain, so the question becomes what does
>>> edugain buy it over the alternatives.
>>

>> Simplicity. I can't think of a reason why we would want to reinvent the
>> wheel.
>>

> IC could easily create and publish a file that contains all/many of the
> entities found in the edugain export file. And IC could do that without
> joining edugain.
>
> IMHO the big gain in joining edugain is that this step is probably (as Tom
> says) the simplest, easiest way to make IC entities available (and
> recognized and trusted by) entities in other Federations. IC could make N
> bilateral agreements, but joining edugain is much simpler.

So at the TNC2013 meeting the rumor I heard from a number of people
(none of them from Internet2/InCommon) is that the Internet2/InCommon
"CEO/CIO/CTO/Other" committed at a CEO/CIO/CTO meeting in February (?)
to InCommon joining eduGAIN, in *full*, by the end of 2013. The
commitment was apparently made in front of a number of other
CEO/CIO/CTO from other NRENs and identity federations.

I would be grateful if the Internet2/InCommon folks on this thread
could track that statement down from their CEO/CIO/CTO/Other and send
me details so that I can include it in my report to LIGO.

I apologize if this is a well known public statement that I missed.

Thanks,

Scott K for LIGO