interfed - Re: [inc-interfed] June 4 agenda / May 28 notes

Subject: Interfederation

Re: [inc-interfed] June 4 agenda / May 28 notes

  • From: Tom Scavo <>
  • To: Interfederation TAC Subgroup <>
  • Subject: Re: [inc-interfed] June 4 agenda / May 28 notes
  • Date: Sat, 8 Jun 2013 12:31:54 -0400

On Fri, Jun 7, 2013 at 12:52 PM, Ian Young

> On 7 Jun 2013, at 17:44, Tom Scavo
> <>
> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Jun 7, 2013 at 11:02 AM, Steven Carmody
>> <>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> IC could easily create and publish a file that contains all/many of the
>>> entities found in the edugain export file.
>>
>> I'm pretty sure you're talking about the mechanics of creating such a
>> file. Yes, that would be relatively easy, and since it is so easy,
>> maybe we should just write a wiki page that shows someone how to do
>> it?
>
> The idea is that if you do it once, competently, your customers don't all
> have to do it independently and probably incompetently.

I made my previous comment half seriously, sorry, I should have marked
it up with a wry smiley face. The mechanics of creating an aggregate
are easy, as everyone agrees, but there's much more to metadata than
that. (I know I'm preaching to the choir, Ian, these comments are not
meant for you.) If InCommon is going to make another aggregate
available to the community, we need to be able to bring some extra
value to the table, beyond what a mindless aggregation operation
provides. I'm still coming to grips with that.

Put another way, I would much prefer that eduGAIN pulled our metadata
into their aggregate than the other way 'round. That should be our
short-term goal.

> P.S. plus, incidentally, eduGAIN isn't resourced to have individual end
> entities all pulling aggregates from it. It's resourced for a relatively
> small number of federation-sized participants.

That's discouraging. Does the server support HTTP compression?