interfed - Re: [inc-interfed] June 4 agenda / May 28 notes

Subject: Interfederation

Re: [inc-interfed] June 4 agenda / May 28 notes

  • From: Steven Carmody <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [inc-interfed] June 4 agenda / May 28 notes
  • Date: Fri, 07 Jun 2013 11:02:35 -0400

On 5/29/13 3:22 PM, Tom Scavo wrote:
On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 2:13 PM, Cantor,
Scott<>
wrote:
On 5/29/13 2:09 PM, "Scott
Koranda"<>
wrote:

LIGO wants to interfederate, and is saying that the lack of a formalized
trust framework for the quality of the metadata isn't a barrier.

InCommon could do that without edugain, so the question becomes what does
edugain buy it over the alternatives.

Simplicity. I can't think of a reason why we would want to reinvent the wheel.

IC could easily create and publish a file that contains all/many of the entities found in the edugain export file. And IC could do that without joining edugain.

IMHO the big gain in joining edugain is that this step is probably (as Tom says) the simplest, easiest way to make IC entities available (and recognized and trusted by) entities in other Federations. IC could make N bilateral agreements, but joining edugain is much simpler.