interfed - Re: [inc-interfed] Updated shibboleth.net use case

Subject: Interfederation

Re: [inc-interfed] Updated shibboleth.net use case

  • From: "Cantor, Scott" <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: Re: [inc-interfed] Updated shibboleth.net use case
  • Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2013 16:44:17 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

On 6/5/13 2:45 AM, "Scott Koranda"

>Do you have a more reliable source of name and email than the IdPs? Is
>the more reliable source self-asserted values?

No. We would have prevented confluence and jira from even letting users
set them, but we *do* overwrite them with blanks every time a user logs in.

This is where ePTID becomes a nuisance. In these apps, if there's no name
set, it just displays the underlying username. When that's EPPN, things
work reasonably well. So I believed the lesser of evils was to keep name
from being set as much as I could.

I recalled doing the same for email, but I'm misremembering. We're not
blocking that, because it doesn't show up in the UI the same way and
wouldn't be an impersonation issue.

-- Scott