interfed - Re: [inc-interfed] June 4 agenda / May 28 notes

Subject: Interfederation

Re: [inc-interfed] June 4 agenda / May 28 notes

  • From: Chris Phillips <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: Re: [inc-interfed] June 4 agenda / May 28 notes
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2013 16:53:23 -0400
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Acceptlanguage: en-US

+1 to Steve's comments.

There is as much value if not more in exporting IdP entity records into
eduGAIN.
How else would anyone achieve escape velocity from things like social
login services like google/twitter/etc, ProtectNetwork or an OpenIDP
without joining your fed formally?

For instance, we have uToronto's IdP in eduGAIN(along with CANARIE's) to
use the cat.eduroam.org service. I didn't build the CAT service,
(eduroam.org did), and it has an invitation only system for site admins so
it's not open to the universe -- on the contrary, it's a very select set.
I can now delegate their schools configuration in eduroam for their
domain to them without concern that their admins would need revocation
because their IdP & backing idm system takes care of it.

This is just a simple use case that LIGO would equally represent as a
destination SP in the metadata. LIGO could then tap into the community
that exceeds the classic federation boundaries of inCommon via the
interfed metadata stream through inCommon channels to allow eduGAIN IdPs
the ability to be permitted to sign into LIGO with only one configuration
for the whole shooting match.

I think starting with LIGO as the pilot was a great choice and would
encourage the group to capitalize on it further and use it for the first
entity as an SP in eduGAIN. Seeing LIGO in action for inbound IdP's from
other federations and to promote the LGIO SP entity into eduGAIN will
speak volumes about why any SP or IdP would want to: a) be federated in
the first place, and b) integrate once and accept many and c) enhance
collaboration through inter federation.

Getting off soapbox now .. :)

Chris.

On 13-06-11 11:22 AM, "Steven Carmody"