per-entity - Re: [Per-Entity] implementing a cache on the client

Subject: Per-Entity Metadata Working Group

Re: [Per-Entity] implementing a cache on the client

  • From: Tom Scavo <>
  • To: "Cantor, Scott" <>
  • Cc: Tom Scavo <>, "" <>
  • Subject: Re: [Per-Entity] implementing a cache on the client
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2016 15:20:49 -0400

On Wed, Jul 27, 2016 at 2:53 PM, Cantor, Scott
> On 7/27/16, 2:28 PM,
> "
> on behalf of Tom Scavo"
> <
> on behalf of
> >
> wrote:
>
>> We don't sign metadata on weekends and holidays.
>
> Yes, but not signing isn't "the aggregate's not available".

What's the difference? I'm talking about HTTP 304, not HTTP 404.

>> Last summer, the MDQ beta server stopped refreshing metadata. We
>> didn't realize what had happened until two weeks later when local
>> metadata expired. ScottK can comment on that incident since he was
>> involved in the pilot.
>
> I think a 2 week outage of the aggregate would be noticed, and would be
> catastrophic.

You are absolutely correct but I claim a two-week outage of the
aggregates served from md.incommon.org has probability zero. In any
case, you asked what would happen and I told you (although now that I
think of it, you already knew what I said so you must have been asking
something else).

> I'm just trying to say that the aggregate's availability isn't meaningless
> either.

From where I sit, aggregate distribution and per-entity distribution
are like apples and oranges.