per-entity - Re: [Per-Entity] implementing a cache on the client

Subject: Per-Entity Metadata Working Group

Re: [Per-Entity] implementing a cache on the client

  • From: Nick Roy <>
  • To: Jorj Bauer <>, Cantor Scott <>, "" <>
  • Subject: Re: [Per-Entity] implementing a cache on the client
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2016 18:43:05 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

This isn't super relevant, but just thought it an interesting convergence of
related technology. AD uses multi-master LDAP to replicate its DNS
information, which does get written to disk (as a Jetblue ISAM database,
IIRC).

Nick

On 7/27/16, 12:26 PM,
"
on behalf of Nick Roy"
<
on behalf of

wrote:

And every Active Directory Domain Services environment that is correctly
deployed still does this (caches DNS locally for all the attached nodes),
which means a chunk of almost every large IT environment with Windows clients
does this to some extent.

Nick

On 7/27/16, 12:12 PM,
"
on behalf of Jorj Bauer"
<
on behalf of

wrote:

>> Sure, and DNS has the same characteristics.
>
> DNS can tolerate long outages? That is really not my experience,
but I'm no DNS expert. Can you clarify?

The records themselves have a TTL. Caching servers can cache the data
until that TTL expires. After that, no - there's no guarantee the
data
would be useful, and it's flushed.

>> It's easy enough to configure a server to use a locally installed
DNS caching server, and
>> I would hope to be able to do the same with an MDQ server as an
intermediate cache.

> Would you disagree that that would be a very much minority view?

Today's DNS infrastructure is built to be robust and responsive. So
yes,
I agree that most people would not do this today. This was a useful
configuration in environments where DNS is problematic, or where the
DNS
latency was too high for throughput, or other sorts of unreliability.

With the beginning of MDQ, I think this architecture would be
desirable
until we have mature infrastructures.

Apologies for having missed the background, and maybe asking
something
that's obvious to everyone else at this point - I have a standing
meeting at the time of the weekly calls, unfortunately - but is there
any sort of TTL on metadata served by MDQ? As an endpoint, I'd want
know how long it is viable for. Which enables various sorts of
caching.

-- Jorj