per-entity - Re: [Per-Entity] implementing a cache on the client

Subject: Per-Entity Metadata Working Group

Re: [Per-Entity] implementing a cache on the client

  • From: Jorj Bauer <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: Re: [Per-Entity] implementing a cache on the client
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2016 13:56:48 -0400

I heard the points being made about the system now tolerating short outages

Well, no, let's be clear: the system we have now can tolerate very
long outages, on the order of hours or days (not minutes). Our
(current) infrastructure is based on that fact.

Sure, and DNS has the same characteristics. It's easy enough to configure a server to use a locally installed DNS caching server, and I would hope to be able to do the same with an MDQ server as an intermediate cache.

-- Jorj