per-entity - Re: [Per-Entity] implementing a cache on the client

Subject: Per-Entity Metadata Working Group

Re: [Per-Entity] implementing a cache on the client

  • From: "Cantor, Scott" <>
  • To: Jorj Bauer <>, "" <>
  • Subject: Re: [Per-Entity] implementing a cache on the client
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2016 18:23:57 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

On 7/27/16, 2:12 PM,
"
on behalf of Jorj Bauer"
<
on behalf of

wrote:

> The records themselves have a TTL. Caching servers can cache the data
> until that TTL expires. After that, no - there's no guarantee the data
> would be useful, and it's flushed.

Right, but AFAIK it's typically cached in memory by the processes that are
performing requests, or *maybe* by the kernel. If you reboot, and the DNS is
down, you're dead in the water, as well as if you query something for the
first time that day.

> With the beginning of MDQ, I think this architecture would be desirable
> until we have mature infrastructures.

Thanks, that makes much more sense to me in context.

But I think you would agree that the world today is a bit different from what
it was when DNS was getting real. Back then your Unix wizard ran the network
and he was happy to set up fancy stuff to compensate for the crazy new flaky
DNS thing.

I think this would be a hard sell now.

> Apologies for having missed the background, and maybe asking something
> that's obvious to everyone else at this point - I have a standing
> meeting at the time of the weekly calls, unfortunately - but is there
> any sort of TTL on metadata served by MDQ? As an endpoint, I'd want to
> know how long it is viable for. Which enables various sorts of caching.

Metadata has a cacheDuration coupled with local settings around how
aggressively to pre-fetch, and a separate hard validUntil to prevent the
attacks that stale metadata can open up.

Of course HTTP caching can also be in play, but I think MDQ is designed
around avoiding the need to couple these layers.

-- Scott