metadata-support - Re: [Metadata-Support] Extending Metadata Query Protocol

Subject: InCommon metadata support

Re: [Metadata-Support] Extending Metadata Query Protocol

  • From: "Cantor, Scott" <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: Re: [Metadata-Support] Extending Metadata Query Protocol
  • Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2015 14:11:41 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

On 3/24/15, 5:48 AM, "Jaime Perez Crespo"

>I guess we’re looking at MDQ from different perspectives here. It is pretty
>clear to me that you see it as a resolver, analog to DNS or similar basic
>services. I’m trying to get more out of it, and even take advantage of it as
>a metadata management tool.

As I think Ian said, this wasn't designed to be a bulk metadata exchange
protocol, it's a query protocol. It's meant very much like DNS. I would
advocate *using* DNS if DNS administrators had any interest in running DNS to
its full capability, and I'm still fairly convinced the only practical long
term solution to discovery is DNS records based on username domain lookup.

-- Scott