metadata-support - [Metadata-Support] Re: optimizing metadata refresh

Subject: InCommon metadata support

[Metadata-Support] Re: optimizing metadata refresh

  • From: Tom Scavo <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Cc: Tom Scavo <>
  • Subject: [Metadata-Support] Re: optimizing metadata refresh
  • Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2015 11:24:25 -0400

Oops, I see from the responses from Scott and Ian (which are
appreciated) that perhaps I did not phrase my question correctly. Let
me try again.

The characteristics of the aggregate are fundamentally different than
the characteristics of the entity descriptors. The latter are not
expected to change as frequently as the aggregate, not even close. The
aggregate changes almost every day whereas an entity descriptor can go
for months without change. My question is: Will the implementation
take advantage of this, and if so, how?

I understand the per-entity metadata server will refresh it sources
regularly and often, but why should that force a refresh at the
client? Can and will we use HTTP Conditional GET to eliminate (what
seems like) unnecessary metadata refreshes?

Tom

On Mon, Mar 23, 2015 at 2:21 PM, Tom Scavo