metadata-support - Re: [Metadata-Support] Re: optimizing metadata refresh

Subject: InCommon metadata support

Re: [Metadata-Support] Re: optimizing metadata refresh

  • From: "Cantor, Scott" <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Cc: Tom Scavo <>
  • Subject: Re: [Metadata-Support] Re: optimizing metadata refresh
  • Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2015 20:14:02 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

On 3/24/15, 11:24 AM, "Tom Scavo"

>The characteristics of the aggregate are fundamentally different than
>the characteristics of the entity descriptors. The latter are not
>expected to change as frequently as the aggregate, not even close. The
>aggregate changes almost every day whereas an entity descriptor can go
>for months without change. My question is: Will the implementation
>take advantage of this, and if so, how?

There's nothing much to take advantage of. DNS entries often stay the same
for years, but you still don't cache them that long. You have to ask every so
often.

>I understand the per-entity metadata server will refresh it sources
>regularly and often, but why should that force a refresh at the
>client? Can and will we use HTTP Conditional GET to eliminate (what
>seems like) unnecessary metadata refreshes?

That's really up to the client. I believe the Shibboleth IdP probably does,
Brent would know. The SP does not, at the moment, it just wasn't something I
built in given the lack of overhead in general for just fetching a small
document. It certainly could, but I'd have to track the etags and such.

-- Scott