metadata-support - Re: [Metadata-Support] Extending Metadata Query Protocol

Subject: InCommon metadata support

Re: [Metadata-Support] Extending Metadata Query Protocol

  • From: "Cantor, Scott" <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: Re: [Metadata-Support] Extending Metadata Query Protocol
  • Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2015 22:43:50 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

On 3/18/15, 6:37 PM, "Tom Scavo"

>That was my first thought as well. Before you brought it up, I've
>always thought an implementation would fetch the entire aggregate
>while booting up and then use the MDQ protocol to keep up to date.

The problem to me is that if you can fetch the aggregate, there really is no
earthly reason to bother with this. Refetching it and processing it in a
background thread takes care of the subsequent overhead, at least in terms of
what a user sees. So it really never occurred to me. You don't preload DNS.

>In both cases, I guess a more basic question is: Are these
>implementation issues or protocol issues? The work we're doing on the
>first one, for instance, is still very much in the implementation
>phase (i.e., no one has yet proposed a protocol change).

They're profiling issues I think. The ability to create custom notions of how
to query for things was assumed, just not defined in the foundational
document.

-- Scott