metadata-support - Re: [Metadata-Support] Extending Metadata Query Protocol

Subject: InCommon metadata support

Re: [Metadata-Support] Extending Metadata Query Protocol

  • From: Jaime Perez Crespo <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: Re: [Metadata-Support] Extending Metadata Query Protocol
  • Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2015 09:48:37 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US, nb-NO

Hi Scott,

> On 18 Mar 2015, at 23:43 pm, Cantor, Scott
> <>
> wrote:
>> That was my first thought as well. Before you brought it up, I've
>> always thought an implementation would fetch the entire aggregate
>> while booting up and then use the MDQ protocol to keep up to date.
>
> The problem to me is that if you can fetch the aggregate, there really is
> no earthly reason to bother with this. Refetching it and processing it in a
> background thread takes care of the subsequent overhead, at least in terms
> of what a user sees. So it really never occurred to me. You don't preload
> DNS.

I guess we’re looking at MDQ from different perspectives here. It is pretty
clear to me that you see it as a resolver, analog to DNS or similar basic
services. I’m trying to get more out of it, and even take advantage of it as
a metadata management tool.

--
Jaime Pérez
UNINETT / Feide

xmpp:

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one less traveled by, and
that has made all the difference."
- Robert Frost