md-distro - Re: [md-distro] use of the preview aggregate

Subject: Metadata Distribution Subcommittee of TAC

Re: [md-distro] use of the preview aggregate

  • From: Tom Scavo <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [md-distro] use of the preview aggregate
  • Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2014 05:56:00 -0500

On Mon, Dec 15, 2014 at 8:31 PM, Cantor, Scott
> On 12/16/14, 12:59 AM, "Tom Scavo"
> <>
> wrote:
>
>>Let me put a stake in the ground: What if we left the eduGAIN entity
>>descriptors in the preview aggregate for, say, 30 days?
>
> I sort of misunderstood, I didn't realize the idea was to use it as a
> testing mechanism for the federation itself, vs. the participants. I guess
> that's ok, though it's a little off putting to have the data show up and
> then disappear.

I was just trying to be accommodating with respect to your concern
about the proposal being open-ended. We really do intend to make the
R&S IdPs the very first batch of entities imported from eduGAIN. This
"experiment" has multiple goals.

> Maybe we need a "beta" aggregate that's explicitly not expected to be
> stable in the sense that things could be added and then removed.

I am loathe to introduce another aggregate, ever.

So I think I'm hearing that we can probably do something with the
preview aggregate but maybe there are a few details to work out.
That's fair. I'll come back after the 1st of the year with a more
concrete plan and we'll see how it goes.

>>One requirement that I've heard is that we should put an XML comment
>>in the preview aggregate that says something about the intended use of
>>the aggregate. How do folks feel about that?
>
> Doesn't hurt.

Okay, we'll consider that.