md-distro - [md-distro] use of the preview aggregate

Subject: Metadata Distribution Subcommittee of TAC

[md-distro] use of the preview aggregate

  • From: Tom Scavo <>
  • To:
  • Subject: [md-distro] use of the preview aggregate
  • Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2014 17:23:50 -0500

Hi all,

This working group has been shut down for quite a while but I have a
question about the preview aggregate, which grew out of this group's
Phase 1 Recommendations, so I thought I would ask it here. For
reference, our documentation on metadata aggregates is in the wiki at
this location: https://spaces.internet2.edu/x/SoG8Ag

We haven't used the preview aggregate very much to date but we have
tentative plans to use it early in 2015 in the following two ways:

1) About the middle of January, we will introduce MD-RPI extension
elements into production metadata. Every entity descriptor will be
touched by one of these elements. We'll probably keep these in the
preview aggregate for a couple of weeks before syncing the preview
aggregate with the main production aggregate (and then later with the
fallback aggregate).

2) Sometime in February we will import all the R&S IdPs from eduGAIN
metadata. Instead of importing these entities directly into the main
production aggregate (which has legal and policy implications), we
would rather import them into the preview aggregate. We would let them
bake there for an indeterminate amount of time (however long it takes
for the legal and policy issues to be addressed).

Are these uses of the preview aggregate along the lines of what this
group had in mind when it recommended multiple metadata aggregates a
year ago (or whenever it was, I'm afraid I've lost track of the actual
timeline).