interfed - Re: [inc-interfed] status update, creating combined metadata file

Subject: Interfederation

Re: [inc-interfed] status update, creating combined metadata file

  • From: Ian Young <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [inc-interfed] status update, creating combined metadata file
  • Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2013 12:19:12 +0000

On 22 Feb 2013, at 12:00, Scott Koranda

> Once that is done I do not plan to whitelist at the SP...the
> authorization controls on the SP are good enough.

Good, I was hoping that was the case. Relying on entities not being able to
see the entities that aren't interested in has never seemed like a scalable
long term approach to me.

> Ultimately I think what I would want from InCommon is an
> ala-carte menu of different aggregate feeds, and for this SP I
> would want to choose "InCommon + UK + eduGAIN + GakuNin +
> ...".
>
> Or perhaps it would be better to have two feeds and I
> configure the SP to download them both:
>
> - InCommon
> - InCommon "vetted international partners"
>
> where "vetted international partners" buries a couple years of policy
> discussions I suppose.

Burying the results of policy discussions where users of a system don't have
to worry about them is in my mind an important part of successful
infrastructure.

Do you have any opinion on the UK approach, where we're just planning to put
everything in one big pot? Would that be bad for you, or acceptable given
the SP controls?

-- Ian