assurance - Re: [Assurance] RE: [confluence] InC-Assurance > Remote-Proofing Approaches

Subject: Assurance

Re: [Assurance] RE: [confluence] InC-Assurance > Remote-Proofing Approaches

  • From: Tom Scavo <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [Assurance] RE: [confluence] InC-Assurance > Remote-Proofing Approaches
  • Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2012 09:03:04 -0400 (EDT)

> ICAM did not certify Google. OIX did.
> http://www.idmanagement.gov/pages.cfm/page/ICAM-TrustFramework-IDP

But ICAM certified OIX as a TFP, so indirectly ICAM certified Google.

> And regarding Google not being certified at Silver, InCommon does
> offer the option of submitting comparable alternatives.

I was talking about Bronze, but in any case, this strengthens my point. IdPs
are not certified subject to 800-63. They are not even certified according to
a strict reading of the InC IAP. I think this is fine but it does make things
more difficult at the SP.

> I think
> Google's bigger problem is that they are a corporate entity and are
> not eligible to participate in InCommon's Assurance Program.

It is true that corporate entities are not eligible to be certified Bronze or
Silver, but ALL IdPs in the InCommon Federation will ultimately be
categorized with respect to their trustworthiness. This is an essential
function of any mature federation.

Tom