us-federations - Re: [USFeds] suggestion on inter-federational SSO?

Subject: US Federations Discussion

Re: [USFeds] suggestion on inter-federational SSO?

  • From: Tom Scavo <>
  • To: Ying Ma <>
  • Cc: David Simonsen <>, Steven Carmody <>,
  • Subject: Re: [USFeds] suggestion on inter-federational SSO?
  • Date: Thu, 17 May 2012 18:17:34 -0400 (EDT)

> This UCLA
> moodle SP currently provides service to multiple campuses across UC
> system, and thus is an InCommon SP taking advantage of InCommon
> federated
> SSO. We don't want to lose InCommon SSO since that covers the
> majority of
> our users. If we create bilateral relationship with an IDP from a
> different federation, it's likely that we need to provide a separate
> login
> link for users from that specific IDP. Technically it should not be a
> problem with some work done at SP, but it doesn't feel like an
> elegant
> solution, as we are anticipating more overseas demand. I wonder if
> other
> campuses are doing anything different to address similar situations?

Ying, I'm looking at all your entities right now:

https://incommon.org/federation/info/org.html?orgName=University%20of%20California-Los%20Angeles

Which one of those SPs is the moodle SP you're talking about? Does it support
SAML V2.0 Web Browser SSO and the SAML V2.0 Identity Provider Discovery
Protocol? If so, I can provide you with a URL that you can give the IdP that
it can expose to its users.

Tom

PS. You really should give all those SPs nice human-readable names ;-)