us-federations - Re: [USFeds] suggestion on inter-federational SSO?

Subject: US Federations Discussion

Re: [USFeds] suggestion on inter-federational SSO?

  • From: Steven Carmody <>
  • To:
  • Cc: David Simonsen <>
  • Subject: Re: [USFeds] suggestion on inter-federational SSO?
  • Date: Wed, 16 May 2012 13:30:24 -0400

On 5/15/12 2:26 PM, Ma, Ying wrote:

Thank you for your reply. It's good to know where we are. I'm aware
that InCommon is one of the participants in REFEDS, which focuses on
topics involved in international collaboration in research and
education. Interfederation seems to be one of the topics. We are
interested to know if InCommon is actively involved in REFEDS
effort, and whether there is a workgroup focused in this area. Any
information helps.

As noted by Ann, there are already a number of situations like the one you describe where the two schools have created a bilateral relationship, rather than waiting for inter-federation to arrive. This would be not much different from creating a bilateral relationship with a cloud-based service provider who is not an IC member. (There have also been a few cases where campuses have become members of a foreign Federation... but let's not go there.)

I've CC'ed David Simonsen who is heavily involved with the WAYF Federation in Denmark, and who would be your contact point if you wanted to pursue a bilateral relationship.

The other issue if this moves forward is that an EU-based IDP would be sending PII attributes to an SP located outside the EU. Using an EU-resident IDP immediately means that both parties have to worry about the EU Privacy Directive. But, if UCLA can assert that your moodle SP is operated in compliance with a set of EU-prescribed requirements then that would go a long way toward convincing the WAYF IDP that it is safe to send attributes to your SP.