participants-research - IdP discovery - list 'em all?

Subject: InC Research Participants

IdP discovery - list 'em all?

  • From: "Basney, Jim" <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: IdP discovery - list 'em all?
  • Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2016 16:09:03 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Ironport-phdr: 9a23:jkWwqhx9Bft1tpfXCy+O+j09IxM/srCxBDY+r6Qd0esQIJqq85mqBkHD//Il1AaPBtqLra8fwLOL+4nbGkU+or+5+EgYd5JNUxJXwe43pCcHRPC/NEvgMfTxZDY7FskRHHVs/nW8LFQHUJ2mPw6a8TWO6mtYAhzlKQt+J/z8HJLJyt66zO274ZbTSwROjz24ZLR0ahKsok+Z4tEfm5djIacpwx3VuT5Sdv9bzHljJXqSmR3748K3+thk6SsG6Nw78MsVG4/zZKI1XPgQLjUjeShh5sfirh/OXCOO4n8dVGIXiVxFDxWTv0KyZYv4riav7rk14yKdJ8CjFb0=

Hi InCommon Research Participants Working Group,

CILogon will soon be listing all InCommon IdPs, except those tagged
hide-from-discovery, on our discovery interface at <https://cilogon.org/>.
We're also going to start whitelisting eduGAIN IdPs using the
research-and-scholarship and sirtfi tags. Details at
<http://www.cilogon.org/news/expanding-idps>. I'm interested in any
comments on our plans.

A few items on my mind:

I hope this is going to give us better info about user interest from IdPs
that don't yet support R&S. Already we're seeing users contact their IdP
operators directly using the text from our error page, though
unfortunately so far the IdP operators have ignored them (!).

It seems not all "zTest" IdPs are marked hide-from-discovery according to
the list at <https://spaces.internet2.edu/x/2IDmBQ>. Relying on the
hide-from-discovery tag is new for us. Anyone else have lessons learned to
share? According to <https://spaces.internet2.edu/x/6YD4Ag> it seems the
hide-from-discovery tag is opt-in for operators of test IdPs rather than
something vetted by InCommon.

I fear our requirement, from IGTF, to whitelist only eduGAIN IdPs with
both the research-and-scholarship and sirtfi tags is sending us down the
whitelisting path again, when we should be listing all IdPs and handling
the errors. Maybe we should list all the eduGAIN IdPs then show an error
page if users select an IdP that doesn't support research-and-scholarship
and sirtfi? Maybe that's something we can do when sirtfi is more widely
adopted.

-Jim