metadata-support - Re: [Metadata-Support] How to test the per-entity metadata server from an IDP

Subject: InCommon metadata support

Re: [Metadata-Support] How to test the per-entity metadata server from an IDP

  • From: Tom Scavo <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: Re: [Metadata-Support] How to test the per-entity metadata server from an IDP
  • Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2016 16:13:50 -0500

On Wed, Mar 2, 2016 at 2:00 PM, Wessel, Keith
> But you understood my point, it looks like. I simply meant that, if the
> beta MDQ server failed to respond, my IDP would consult the current
> production aggregate.

Yes, I did understand your point, but the main reason I pushed back is
that the above strategy may not be the best strategy---heck, it may
not even be a good strategy---so I think we need to step back and take
stock. (Btw, you're not the first one to contemplate such a
configuration, so you're in good company :)

> So, I think I'm back to my original question: what can I, as an IDP
> operator, do to help with this pilot's success? Do you have any specific
> guidance there?

When in doubt, do what Scott does :-) That is, identify one or more
SPs under your control (as SP owner, not Site Administrator) that will
tolerate a switch to mdq-beta. I'll let Scott describe what he does on
shibboleth.net (although I think he may have already let the cat out
of the bag).

Sorry, that probably isn't what you wanted to hear. At this point,
it's the best suggestion I have. As I mentioned yesterday, as our path
forward becomes more concrete, we'll let you know. We're just as
anxious to get this ball rolling as you are!

Tom