interfed - Re: [inc-interfed] Apr 2 notes / Apr 9 agenda

Subject: Interfederation

Re: [inc-interfed] Apr 2 notes / Apr 9 agenda

  • From: John Krienke <>
  • To: <>
  • Cc: Tom Scavo <>
  • Subject: Re: [inc-interfed] Apr 2 notes / Apr 9 agenda
  • Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2013 12:53:19 -0400

On 4/2/13 5:06 PM, Tom Scavo wrote:
How do we increase the likelihood that MDUI DisplayName is globally
unique? I think it's nontrivial to enforce uniqueness at the consumer,
but that's exactly what you need, especially on the discovery
interface.

I don't think we can expect that MDUI DisplayName will be globally -- or even federationally -- unique. I'm thinking about the use case where several universities will want to each run a social-to-SAML gateway, which would mean that each university would put into federation metadata an IdP with an MDUI DisplayName similar to "Google" or "Google Sign In Gateway" or some such. If this becomes a global practice, we could see dozens or hundreds of social IdP gateways, where the combination of Organization Display Name + MDUI DisplayName may be unique, but the MDUI DisplayName by itself is not. This seems to place a higher bar on intelligent Discovery UI. As long as we do a good job of validating the Org, I don't think there is necessarily a security risk in this practice of allowing any known and verified Org to have an IdP with an MDUI DisplayName of "VISA" for example. But this is certainly becoming a ripe policy question.

john.