interfed - Re: [inc-interfed] Apr 2 notes / Apr 9 agenda

Subject: Interfederation

Re: [inc-interfed] Apr 2 notes / Apr 9 agenda

  • From: "Cantor, Scott" <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Cc: Tom Scavo <>
  • Subject: Re: [inc-interfed] Apr 2 notes / Apr 9 agenda
  • Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2013 17:10:58 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

On 4/9/13 12:53 PM, "John Krienke"

>I don't think we can expect that MDUI DisplayName will be globally -- or
>even
>federationally -- unique. I'm thinking about the use case where several
>universities will want to each run a social-to-SAML gateway, which would
>mean
>that each university would put into federation metadata an IdP with an
>MDUI
>DisplayName similar to "Google" or "Google Sign In Gateway" or some such.
>If
>this becomes a global practice, we could see dozens or hundreds of social
>IdP
>gateways, where the combination of Organization Display Name + MDUI
>DisplayName
>may be unique, but the MDUI DisplayName by itself is not. This seems to
>place a
>higher bar on intelligent Discovery UI.

Intelligent, ok, but psychic? There's not a lot you can do with ten IdPs
all called the same thing. There's no user who's going to understand that.

There are hints one can use like geolocation, but they're only hints and
they don't disambiguate the labels.

But I think it's questionable to have a campus operated gateway registered
as an IdP, personally. I don't see what that's meant to accomplish in the
context of InCommon.

-- Scott