interfed - Re: [inc-interfed] Apr 2 notes / Apr 9 agenda

Subject: Interfederation

Re: [inc-interfed] Apr 2 notes / Apr 9 agenda

  • From: Tom Scavo <>
  • To: Interfederation TAC Subgroup <>
  • Subject: Re: [inc-interfed] Apr 2 notes / Apr 9 agenda
  • Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2013 17:06:07 -0400

On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 2:58 PM, Jim Basney

> scopes in 3 places are all identical in UK metadata.
> scopes in 2 places are all identical in InCommon metadata.

There's a strict interfederation requirement lurking here: Scope is an
entity characteristic that is best expressed at the role level.

> scope regexp="false" always specified for InCommon.

Another interfederation requirement: explicit regexp="false"

> Organization element - OrganizationDisplayName / MDUI DisplayName

The primary concern here is the discovery interface. As I mentioned to
Rod at one point, MDUI DisplayName should be strongly recommended, if
not required. The InCommon Federation falls back on
OrganizationDisplayName as a last resort but considering the
complexity of the latter in the UKF, that could present some problem.

On the SP side, MDUI DisplayName is likewise a strong recommendation
(if not required).

How do we increase the likelihood that MDUI DisplayName is globally
unique? I think it's nontrivial to enforce uniqueness at the consumer,
but that's exactly what you need, especially on the discovery
interface.