interfed - Re: [inc-interfed] status update, creating combined metadata file

Subject: Interfederation

Re: [inc-interfed] status update, creating combined metadata file

  • From: Ian Young <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [inc-interfed] status update, creating combined metadata file
  • Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2013 14:59:36 +0000

On 25 Feb 2013, at 14:50, Scott Koranda

> I think this is the model the UK Access Management Federation
> is purusing for its members. See
>
> http://www.ukfederation.org.uk/content/Documents/InterfederationTrialFAQ
>
> I ask Ian to correct me if I am wrong.

You are not wrong, and that's a good summary of our approach.

It's not all that different than most other federations (e.g., eduGAIN
participants) except that some choose to put "things from eduGAIN" into a
separate aggregate that they republish under their own trust root. I think
that's a wasted opportunity, personally, but if you've spent a few years
teaching your members that everything inside your federation boundary is to
be trusted absolutely then a different approach is required.

-- Ian