interfed - Re: [inc-interfed] status update, creating combined metadata file

Subject: Interfederation

Re: [inc-interfed] status update, creating combined metadata file

  • From: Tom Scavo <>
  • To: Interfederation TAC Subgroup <>
  • Subject: Re: [inc-interfed] status update, creating combined metadata file
  • Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2013 15:18:04 -0500

Okay, I'm evidently doing a poor job of communicating today, so let me
summarize the points I'm trying to make as a top post and see if that
helps. I assume I have at my disposal a second signing key, not a set
of signing keys but a single signing key distinct from the current
signing key. Let me refer to these keys as Key1 (current) and Key2
(new). (If you won't allow a new signing key into the discussion, then
we're at an impasse and need to start over.)

- We would continue to publish the InCommon metadata aggregate signed
with Key1. Nothing new there: same content, same key, same location.

- We would publish one or more new metadata aggregates signed with
Key2. At one extreme, we would aggregate all the trusted IdPs of the
world into a single file. At the other extreme, each participant would
receive its own custom aggregate of trusted IdPs.

- Aggregation of SP metadata is a completely separate conversation.
AFAICT aggregation of IdP metadata is mostly technical whereas
aggregation of SP metadata is mostly policy. Thus the motivation to
separate the two.

That's it. That's all I'm trying to say.

Tom

On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 2:38 PM, Cantor, Scott