assurance - Re: [Assurance] comments on draft MFA Interop WG documents

Subject: Assurance

Re: [Assurance] comments on draft MFA Interop WG documents

  • From: David Walker <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: Re: [Assurance] comments on draft MFA Interop WG documents
  • Date: Wed, 4 May 2016 09:24:57 -0700

I'll take responsibility for putting the work "assurance" in the URI. I
did it without much thought, and it certainly can be changed. In fact,
the plan is to replace it with a URI in the REFEDS name space, anyway.

I agree with everyone that the MFA authentication context should be
self-asserted. I think the real question is whether IdPs that support
the MFA profile should also be given a (presumably self asserted) entity
category in metadata. The current draft does not recommend an entity
category, as the group didn't see use cases where it would help. We
have since, however, heard of SPs that would like to tailor their
discovery interfaces to exclude non-MFA-supporting IdPs, and there are
situations where an entity category can save an SP from issuing a second
authentication request when it prefers MFA, but will accept anything else.

Do others have use cases for an IdP entity category that it supports the
MFA profile? It's certainly not too late to define one.

David