technical-discuss - Re: [InC-Technical] InCommon Baseline Expectations Metadata Requirements

Subject: InCommon Technical Discussions

Re: [InC-Technical] InCommon Baseline Expectations Metadata Requirements

  • From: Nick Roy <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [InC-Technical] InCommon Baseline Expectations Metadata Requirements
  • Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2017 09:30:30 -0700
  • Ironport-phdr: 9a23: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

On 11/15/17 9:28 AM, Nick Roy wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 11/15/17 8:25 AM, Steven Carmody wrote:
>> I think InCommon is already past the point where the "profile" of a
>> typical installation/site/sysadmin has drastically changed from the
>> early days. Growth has brought changes. A major implication of that
>> statement is that the type of documentation that IC provides will have
>> to change. The TAC was recently discussing whether its now reasonable
>> to expect that a campus sysadmin would know how to "create" a local
>> proxy server.
> The comment about proxying here needs a bit of context wrapped around it
> to avoid confusion.  It was simply a statement by me that we have heard
> people saying they cannot deal with downloading the existing metadata
> aggregate over vanilla HTTP/port 80.  I had assumed that meant they
> wanted TLS, and I suggested that if they wanted TLS, they could set up a
> cron job or something to do a GET of the metadata, run it through
> XMLsectool to do signature verification (since I assumed whatever they
> were running probably couldn't verify the signature on the metadata) and
> then republish it to their metadata clients over whatever channel they
> desired.  It had nothing to do with running a SAML proxy.

To further clarify, it turned out that this had nothing to do with
wanting TLS, it was that the affected sites' security people would not
allow outbound traffic on port 80, so they were blocked by their own
firewall rules.

Nick