interfed - Re: [inc-interfed] June 4 agenda / May 28 notes

Subject: Interfederation

Re: [inc-interfed] June 4 agenda / May 28 notes

  • From: Scott Koranda <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [inc-interfed] June 4 agenda / May 28 notes
  • Date: Wed, 29 May 2013 13:09:28 -0500

On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 12:53 PM, John Krienke
> On 5/28/13 3:02 PM, Basney, Jim wrote:
>>
>> JohnK: Still struggling to see what eduGAIN gets us.
>

> My attempt was not to make a self-centered or cantankerous claim but to see
> the honest value for our participant institutions. I'd put it this way:
>
> JohnK is still trying to determine what value eduGAIN provides to SPs and
> IdPs in any given federation, since there are no common trustworthiness
> claims made about entity metadata.

This SP and IdP operator gains not having to join each federation
separately. Because joining a SAML federation (including InCommon)
often involves a legal agreement, and LIGO is not a legal entity, the
process of joining a federation is a significant cost.

So yes, I would like InCommon to join eduGAIN so that I can leverage
the existing legal contract with InCommon to gain access, even
initially at a low trust level, to the IdPs and SPs that I need to
support my community. I am confident the trust level will evolve
positively over time.

Thanks,

Scott K for LIGO