interfed - Re: [inc-interfed] reminders

Subject: Interfederation

Re: [inc-interfed] reminders

  • From: John Krienke <>
  • To: <>
  • Cc: "Cantor, Scott" <>
  • Subject: Re: [inc-interfed] reminders
  • Date: Tue, 28 May 2013 18:26:17 -0400

On 5/28/13 1:26 PM, Cantor, Scott wrote:
the point of that IOP language has to do with software design and
behavior, not the "meaning" of metadata in a policy sense.

Here is my follow up question that relates more to policy. Section 2.5.1 line 285 of the Metadata IOP reads:
"Compromised keys MUST be removed from an entity's metadata."

This is a policy statement for the MD Producer to follow.

If I were to follow the logic behind the need for removal of compromised keys, it would be that I care about compromise because previously I cared somewhere about possession of the keys in the first place. Somewhere, somehow, we care about Possession of keys because we will also care about the compromise of those keys. My point is that we need a documented somewhere to care about the possession of keys and other very very fundamental levels of bedrock trust. It seems a fitting topic to include Compromise in section 2.5 entitled "Metadata Producer Requirements." I think it also makes logical sense to include and rely on some statement about Possession as well. These kinds of statements seem to me to be bedrock requirements for interfederation. I think I am in effect calling for a common, minimal set of policies possibly in the form of a declared intefederation Registration Practices Statement in order for interfederation to be trustworthy.

john.