interfed - Re: [inc-interfed] value of InCommon joining eduGAIN

Subject: Interfederation

Re: [inc-interfed] value of InCommon joining eduGAIN

  • From: Scott Koranda <>
  • To:
  • Cc: "Basney, Jim" <>
  • Subject: Re: [inc-interfed] value of InCommon joining eduGAIN
  • Date: Tue, 28 May 2013 17:31:29 -0500

On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 5:08 PM, John Krienke
> One of the questions on the table is, can we provide an untrustworthy
> aggregate that would be of some use beforehand? This is one of those
> questions. Is there value in a technical aggregation of metadata sources
> that contains no claims of trust, ownership, veracity, or validity? It's a
> real question. I hear some edging toward yes, and I'm trying to understand
> why that is. Does this create a race to the bottom in trust?

Perhaps, but from my perspective such an aggregate is an important
stepping stone to truly supporting international projects like LIGO.

I am willing to take an aggregation of metadata sources "that contains
no claims of trust, ownership, veracity, or validity" initially
because the alternative is joining each federation separately, and the
cost for that is simply too high.

Scott K for LIGO