interfed - Re: [inc-interfed] value of InCommon joining eduGAIN

Subject: Interfederation

Re: [inc-interfed] value of InCommon joining eduGAIN

  • From: "Basney, Jim" <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: Re: [inc-interfed] value of InCommon joining eduGAIN
  • Date: Tue, 28 May 2013 21:28:33 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

On 5/28/13 3:36 PM, "Tom Scavo"
>On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 4:15 PM, Basney, Jim
><>
> wrote:
>> * Effort to publish interfed metadata aggregate to InCommon members.
>
>I think you mean the effort required to make eduGAIN available to
>InCommon members, which is minimal, but I'm reminded of the old
>saying:
>
>"You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink."
>
>I'm pretty confident in saying eduGAIN metadata would NOT be bundled
>in the current InCommon aggregate.

I was thinking of our recommendation for a single InCommon
"interfederation" metadata aggregate that would provide a stable source of
entity metadata for consumption by InCommon members wishing to
interfederate with external entities based on bilateral, hierarchical, and
multilateral interfederation agreements.

So it isn't really specific to eduGAIN -- it's a cost of supporting any
type of interfederation.

>> * No consistent level of assurance of identities.
>
>You mean of individuals who submit metadata? This is part of
>registration practice statement. Are you thinking of something else?

I'm just pointing out that there's no eduGAIN Bronze/Silver, so SPs would
have little confidence in the authentication assertions issued by IdPs.

-Jim