assurance - [Assurance] RE: Bronze/Silver/other Account Populations?

Subject: Assurance

[Assurance] RE: Bronze/Silver/other Account Populations?

  • From: "Dunker, Mary" <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: [Assurance] RE: Bronze/Silver/other Account Populations?
  • Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2012 13:57:00 -0400
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Acceptlanguage: en-US

Hi, Russ,

Virginia Tech offers InCommon Bronze and Silver to faculty and staff (not
undergraduate students) in the form of a multi-factor hardware token. Our
rationale was two-fold:

We thought the primary user base for Silver would be faculty/staff rather
than students.
We already had an in-person identity proofing process for the population
eligible for the tokens; i.e., faculty, staff, and graduate students.

In the future, we may apply for Bronze using our more ubiquitous
password-based credential, which would accommodate undergraduate students.

I hope this helps.
Mary
Mary Dunker
Director, Secure Enterprise Technology Initiatives
Virginia Tech Information Technology
1700 Pratt Drive
Blacksburg, VA 24060
540-231-9327