assurance - Re: [Assurance] Assurance and system monitoring

Subject: Assurance

Re: [Assurance] Assurance and system monitoring

  • From: David Walker <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [Assurance] Assurance and system monitoring
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2012 11:23:34 -0800

Waxing philosophic, understanding that philosophy probably has nothing to do with a specific service contract...

Automated processes are replacing human action in many situations these days; monitoring service health is only one.  I think it's important to incorporate these processes into our identity management strategies, but we should be very careful about trying to shoehorn them into our existing assurance profiles.

The 800-63-based assurance profiles like UCTrust Basic and InCommon Silver are entirely about the identity of people.  We specify specify requirements for identity proofing and registration processes only for when the subjects of the identity management system are people.  As was observed earlier in the discussion, the authentication requirements are also slanted toward people using browsers, although the authentication mechanisms can be used by non-person subjects (i.e., automated processes).

We do all of this to reduce the risk that the wrong person will be identified to some service.  We may also require controls like education to reduce the risk that the right people will do the wrong things.

So, what is the analog of verifying photo IDs and addresses of record for automated processes?  There probably isn't a good one, so I think we're looking at a different assurance profile.  Rather, I think we need to address the people who administer those processes and what their responsibilities are to reduce the risk that the wrong process will be identified to a service, or that the right process will do the wrong thing.  Here are some examples:
  • Level of assurance (or, at least, identity proofing) of the administrators
  • Sharing of secrets, private keys, etc., among multiple automated processes
  • Certification that the process does what it is supposed to do
  • Change control and security for the process

That said, the need for formal assurance profiles is lessened when the subjects are well-known to the relying party.  As I understand Eric's case, the subject process is actually operated by the relying party, so one would think that a specific IAQ would not be needed at all.  I can understand why the relying party would want to know that the IdP is being operated in a secure and professional manner, so requiring that the IdP is certified to issue InCommon Silver or UCTrust Basic IAQs sounds reasonable, but actually requiring the IAQ in assertions of its own identity sounds like overkill.

David