technical-discuss - Re: [InC-Technical] Re: Split InCommon into R&S and non-R&S federations?

Subject: InCommon Technical Discussions

Re: [InC-Technical] Re: Split InCommon into R&S and non-R&S federations?

  • From: David Langenberg <>
  • To: Scott Koranda <>, Mark Scheible <>
  • Cc: "" <>
  • Subject: Re: [InC-Technical] Re: Split InCommon into R&S and non-R&S federations?
  • Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2017 12:10:53 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Ironport-phdr: 9a23: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

What’s the underlying use-case driving this proposal? Are you trying to
lessen the experience for the 300 in hopes they join the 100? Are you trying
to show vendors / other VOs the value prop by saying, “Look at these 100
places you can easily work with?” Is this really more about making your
discovery interface automatically/easily include/exclude IdPs that meet “best
practices”? Personally, I don’t think dividing InC into multiple
federations/aggregates is the right answer, house divided and such, so I’m
trying to understand what’s so impossibly horrible about the state of things
today that the answer is to basically start over?

Dave

--
David Langenberg
Asst Director, Identity Management

On 3/30/17, 6:06 AM,
"
on behalf of Scott Koranda"
<
on behalf of

wrote:

Hi,

> ********************
> Break InCommon into two effective federations:
>
> One federation would be those campuses that want to support a national
> infrastructure that facilitates collaboration in higher education and
research.
> It would require IdPs to support the R&S entity category. The other
federation
> would be for campuses that just want streamlined access to vendor SPs.
Those
> campuses that want to collaborate could then evolve faster.
> ********************

The context was making progress on the stalled issue of scaling
attribute release.

It is not a technical suggestion, though it would of course have
technical ramifications.

My observation is that there are roughly 100 InCommon Participant
campuses that could and would, if mandated, implement changes
to make the trust fabric more scalable and simply more trusted. Things
like

- attribute release to all R&S SPs in eduGAIN
- populating MDUI elements
- up to date and correct errorURL elements
- security contacts in metadata
- support for SIRTFI (security incident response)
- consumption of per-entity metadata

I expect those 100 or so organizations could make that happen in a year
or less. They already "pay attention" and have most of it in place
already.

The other 300 or so organizations, more generally, are not interested in
creating and sustaining a trusted fabric for facilitating
collaboration and research. They have other concerns.

Yet a lot of energy and resources are spent attempting to motivate those
300 to operate like the 100, even though those 300 fundamentally do not
have the drivers that might push them to operate at the higher level.

So my proposal is to stop trying.

Instead let the 100 evolve quickly to a higher level and call that
"InCommon".

The other 300 could be called something like "InCommon light" or
"InCommon basic". They would not have to meet the same level of
performance and achieve the same level of interoperability, but they
would also receive less services, and consume less resources.

My proposal is to solve the attribute release problem by scoping it to
the Participants that can actually solve it, and build a better
federation on that foundation.

Thanks,

Scott K for LIGO