per-entity - Re: Fwd: [Per-Entity] Latency figures for CDNs

Subject: Per-Entity Metadata Working Group

Re: Fwd: [Per-Entity] Latency figures for CDNs

  • From: Scott Koranda <>
  • To: Patrick Radtke <>
  • Cc: Per-Entity Metadata Working Group <>
  • Subject: Re: Fwd: [Per-Entity] Latency figures for CDNs
  • Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2016 06:20:43 -0500
  • Ironport-phdr: 9a23:/RMoKB8vngDw6/9uRHKM819IXTAuvvDOBiVQ1KB90+wcTK2v8tzYMVDF4r011RmSAtWdtqkP0reempujcFJDyK7JiGoFfp1IWk1NouQttCtkPvS4D1bmJuXhdS0wEZcKflZk+3amLRodQ56mNBX660e/5j8KGxj5KRE9ZqGsQtaT3IyL0LWK8oHJYg5LzAC0ba9xIV3itQzNrMgdgqNpK7wr1wDIrnZOZ+VK1CVjIlfFzDjm4cLlx5Vk7zgYmPU7/shMWO2uZKc/V7VeAD0OPGU85cmtvh7GG1jcrkAAW3kbx0IbSzPO6wv3C9Ko6nP3

> On Fri, Aug 26, 2016 at 1:56 PM, David Walker
> <>
> wrote:
> > Getting back to Nick's original question, I guess I am concerned about the
> > latency times for 12KB objects (~0.4 secs in the US), unless we think
> > InCommon sites have much better connectivity than Frost and Sullivan's
> > average (and that the predominant latency factor is the last-mile
> > network).
> >
> > This, of course, brings us back to Chris's admonition that we focus on
> > business needs. What delay is acceptable when an IdP or SP needs to
> > retrieve the metadata for some other SP or IdP? 0.4 seconds sounds pretty
> > long to me, but it is a rare event, we think.
>
> I setup Cloudfront (US, Canada and Europe locations) to be a caching
> proxy for the beta MDQ server.
> A cache miss in the edge location closest to you will result in a
> query going to the MDQ server. Cloud front will cache the result for
> an hour.
> You can test it by using http://drhqoesel6yr5.cloudfront.net/ in place
> of http://mdq-beta.incommon.org/
>
> Using curl to do the timing
>
> curl -o /dev/null -s -w \
> %{time_connect}:%{time_starttransfer}:%{time_total} \
> http://drhqoesel6yr5.cloudfront.net/global/entities/https%3A%2F%2Ffm.incommon.org%2Fsp

Hi Patrick,

How difficult would it be for you to add "HTTPS" as a
transport?

I am curious to see the difference in performance.

For simple tests I think any X.509 cert you have (or the CDN
is willing to provide) would be just fine.

Thanks,

Scott K