per-entity - Re: [Per-Entity] Latency figures for CDNs

Subject: Per-Entity Metadata Working Group

Re: [Per-Entity] Latency figures for CDNs

  • From: David Walker <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: Re: [Per-Entity] Latency figures for CDNs
  • Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2016 13:56:46 -0700
  • Ironport-phdr: 9a23:084Vdxx7mXCECYTXCy+O+j09IxM/srCxBDY+r6Qd0uMWIJqq85mqBkHD//Il1AaPBtqLra8fwLOL+4nbGkU+or+5+EgYd5JNUxJXwe43pCcHRPC/NEvgMfTxZDY7FskRHHVs/nW8LFQHUJ2mPw6aj2O/9wESGwnycE9cbqSwQ9aKzpf/6+fnr4XeeUBFgia8faJaLRO9qgDUsc9QhpFtfPUf0BzM91dBZeVajVxhIVGehV6o6ti5+J1u6QxRve4s7chNTf+8cqglG+8LRA86Onw4sZW4/SLIShGCsz5FCj0b

(Thanks, Ian, for correcting my misreading.)

Getting back to Nick's original question, I guess I am concerned about the latency times for 12KB objects (~0.4 secs in the US), unless we think InCommon sites have much better connectivity than Frost and Sullivan's average (and that the predominant latency factor is the last-mile network).

This, of course, brings us back to Chris's admonition that we focus on business needs.  What delay is acceptable when an IdP or SP needs to retrieve the metadata for some other SP or IdP?  0.4 seconds sounds pretty long to me, but it is a rare event, we think.

Which brings me back to my offer to analyze some IdP and SP logs to see what the churn of metadata retrievals looks like.  Anyone want to contribute some logs?

David