per-entity - Re: [Per-Entity] implementing a cache on the client

Subject: Per-Entity Metadata Working Group

Re: [Per-Entity] implementing a cache on the client

  • From: Jorj Bauer <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: Re: [Per-Entity] implementing a cache on the client
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2016 19:23:46 -0400

On 7/28/16 7:11 PM, Tom Scavo wrote:
On Thu, Jul 28, 2016 at 6:45 PM, Cantor, Scott
On 7/28/16, 5:46 PM,
"
on behalf of Nick Roy"
<
on behalf of

wrote:

Securing the MDQ server with the key you're using to sign metadata seems like
the worst > possible approach because you're putting that signing key at risk by
having it on a live, > Internet-facing server.

Probably getting into the weeds here, but sure, you'd probably chain the TLS
key off of the real key and assume that your TLS-client software can leverage
that path to verify the server, or something like that. Or it could be a
totally disjoint key.

Yes, and eliminate the signing key and cert from the MDQ server
altogether. The pull system we've deployed on mdq-beta is probably not
the way to go. We should push signed metadata from a secure location
(like UKf is doing) to an MDQ server with a TLS key as described
above. This need not be a phase 1 feature in any case.

Hidden master. +1.